Tuesday, May 12, 2009

In The Field: Steve Greenscreen

[Post by Steve]

Today is my 4th day in San Francisco shooting the amazing story behind Gene Yang's graphic novel "American Born Chinese".

On Saturday, I shot an interview with Gene in front of a green screen in order to "put him inside" his own graphic novel in post production. Gene was a great interview and offered superb commentary on the creation of his award-winning book.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Afterwards, we headed over to Comic Relief, a huge comic book store in Berkeley, and there I found out that Gene is quite the celebrity here in the Bay area. Everyone knew who he was and some asked him to sign his book for them. I interviewed the owners of the store who talked about the growing popularity of graphic novels around the world and how this niche, with large audiences in Asia and Europe, are quickly growing here in America. The art form has given a voice to people like Gene, who choose to express their American experience through vibrant pictures and enjoyable narratives. Yes, comics are no longer just Superman and Batman.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

2 comments:

  1. I am from china, my english name is jojo, rum more places make more friends
    Now i am senior student, thanks for friends like me, if you want know my hobbies, am very glad tell to you, my Hobbies is golf, design wesite, swim, drawing, photoshop, music, shopping, I just designed my business website http://www.asiahandbag.com and http://www.good-handbag.com over 3 weeks ago..And I just feel Im not getting that many views at all..It seem like they are staying the same...How am i supposed to sell, if no one is really going thru my items...I feel my website is website worthy, and have tried to remain confident, i will promoting website myself, i think my website will more and more popular, come on jojo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Steve -- that's so cool. Can't wait to see the video. Here are the articles we wrote on graphic novels to accompany the video:

    Graphic Novels: An Evolving Art Form Tackles New Themes (http://www.america.gov/st/peopleplace-english/2009/May/20090508194958GLnesnoM0.3358576.html?CP.rss=true)
    Asian-American Experiences Viewed Through Superhero Lens
    (http://www.america.gov/st/peopleplace-english/2009/May/20090512114627BPuH0.1225092.html)

    ReplyDelete