Friday, May 29, 2009

Bikes for the World - Part 1

[Posted by Ben]
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

It's a hectic time right now in the office--Steve and Caleb are on the road filming their upcoming shows, Brandon just finished filming around DC for his next video on slam poetry and I'm filming and working on travel arrangements for the second part of my upcoming video as well. We go through an incredible amount of planning and research before we travel anywhere and the fact that I'm headed out of the country for my next show doubles the effort. I'm really excited about this one, not only because it gives me an opportunity to feature the work of an organization that I've been following for some time, but because I'll get to travel to Costa Rica to see the impact of their hard work firsthand.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Bikes for the World is a non-profit organization in the Washington, DC area that collects used bikes and works with partner organizations overseas to get the bikes in the hands of people whose lives would be dramatically improved with something most Americans take for granted. The bikes have helped recipients start small businesses, make it possible to get to school, work or to markets and generally just improve their quality of life. I've been filming collections, where bikes are donated and "processed" and loadings, where volunteers actually pack more than 400 bikes into containers to be shipped overseas. Its a remarkable effort and one that is very well organized by the tireless director--Keith Oberg. I'll have more to say once I get to Costa Rica and once the video is produced, but you can find more about Bikes for the World at its website: bikesfortheworld.org

No comments:

Post a Comment